Logo

Logo

Monday, February 2, 2015

Learning, Motivation and Praise: How Do We Truly Learn Best? Part II

            In Part I of this blog series, I described the idea of a “Growth Mindset” as postulated from the work of Carol Dweck with hundreds of hardworking school aged children. Her research now supports the idea held by thousands of lifestyle coaches, gurus, and self-help books, all touting the hidden potential of simply questioning when, not if, one will accomplish a given goal. As I mentioned before, I am a pragmatic realist to be redundantly redundant, but the truth of the matter is that nearly everyone will improve with some degree of encouragement, praise and handholding. Medical research is rife with studies examining the placebo effect or to some degree, the effect of an intervention due almost entirely to establishing a positive, engaging relationship between a doctor and a patient, or a health care team and a study subject. No one will deny this fact, but many will be quick to disregard this effect as insignificant or rather irrelevant to the overall efficacy of the treatment being examined- examples include a drug, surgery or psychological intervention. But rather than question and spend millions of dollars researching various drugs and interventions to find some minor improvement in treatment outcomes, why can’t we attack the problem from a different angle, how can we enhance and augment the placebo effect as well as what I call “The Human Love and Attention Effect.” Instead of trying to fix the nearly irreparable health care system, why not just operate within its confines, but play by different rules. This is precisely what Carol Dweck decided to do when she entered the classrooms of underperforming children in an American education system in desperate need of an overhaul. Her solution: don’t try and change the curriculum, simply empower the kids to think and be challenged, for success shouldn’t be judged by A’s on the report card, but by the willingness of a child to pursue knowledge.

            Now having set the stage for what we hope to accomplish through our “Growth Mindset,” the question now becomes how do we cultivate this environment for optimal results? This is where work by Ashley Merryman and Po Bronson in conjunction with Dweck’s research appears to become so valuable.  In their landmark NY magazine article “The Inverse Power of Praise” Merryman and Bronson outlined the prominent findings of Dweck’s research studies, students who were praised for their “intelligence” rather than for their “effort” on a given test or task were subsequently less likely to later chose to engage in a more challenging and rigorous assessment, while those praised for their “effort” were seemingly very willing to try something new that they were told would be more challenging than their previous task. In addition, after giving both sets of students a purposefully challenging task to induce failure, Dweck found that when the children were subsequently retested with the initial task, those praised for their effort showed a marked improvement- near 30% on their scores, while those praised for their smarts actually performed worse by nearly 20%. This finding was astonishing considering the students all acted as their own controls from test to test and were merely responding to researcher feedback. It is hard to argue that in this study, the children praised for their smarts were significantly less resilient in the face of a challenge, so much so, that they performed worse on a previously easy task. So it appears that encouraging a “Growth Mindset” as well crafting resilient human beings is the key to ultimately continuing successful academic pursuits. As Merryman and Bronson point out, the path to success is paved with actionable and sincere praise, if we are simply told that getting an A or lowering someone’s Hgb A1c to a certain level is successful, than it is not surprising that kids will cheat and doctors will overmedicate and treat to get to this goal. By subtly changing the language that we use to encourage and empower our youth or when it comes to health care, our patients, we can likely see dramatic improvements even within a broken system.


            While I could go on about the fascinating findings of Merryman in regards to test-taking environments, academic competition and crowd mentality, I want to end this post with an n=1 acknowledgement of what I have described above. I can personally attest to being a product of tremendous hard work and dedication to get to my current place as a medical school student. I distinctly remember being told repeatedly how smart I was or how amazing my grades were, or how seemingly easy I made some work appear. For me, however, this praise was really only fuel telling me that all of my hard work and productive effort was providing the results desired by my teachers and peers. By the sixth grade, my parents along with my brother and I, decided we didn’t want our grades publically shown in the class honor roll, as we believed, for one, that this was personal, and two, that these results were not necessarily indicative of hard work or creative thinking. Deep down I knew that I was certainly intelligent and coming from a family full of academics with more PhD’s than I can count, I probably have some good genes, if there is such a thing for natural intelligence. In the end, however, I knew that in order to achieve the goals I had set for myself, I would have to work harder than some and my “more gifted” peers. While I can whole heartedly say that I became a persistent and determined student, it wasn’t until my first months of Medical School that I realized I was missing one real key ingredient: true resilience. While I certainly showed elements of this throughout my academic pursuits, I had never ultimately been challenged to the extent that I required dedicated cultivation of a resilient spirit. Put another way, I didn’t realize what it meant to be truly resilient, physically, mentally, and most important spiritually. It is not sufficient to simply have the will-power and work ethic to pursue your goals, one must actively cultivate resilience in all aspects of one’s life in order to find true happiness. This is how we must educate our youth, empower them to think creatively, praise them for their efforts in the academic process, and build resiliency in the face of mental, physical, social, and emotional stress. I wish I could have taken Resiliency 101 instead of Introduction to Microeconomics, but alas this course did not exist. Hopefully, someday we will construct an education and health care system that will promote both the “Growth Mindset” as well as the “Resilient and Compassionate Human Being,” but for now, we can try to operate within “Straight A” and “Stoic” frameworks of these systems by changing our language for praise, changing our self awareness and opening up to the idea that we don’t always have the answers.

Part III

No comments:

Post a Comment